The outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) has claimed tens thousands of lives, with over half a million people infected. The virus originated in the city of Wuhan in central China during December 2019, and has spread all across the world since then, causing the World Health Organization (WHO) to characterize it as a pandemic and declare a global emergency.
The symptoms of coronavirus include cough, fever, sneeze, headache, and shortness of breath. These symptoms may surface within a few two days or even up to 14 days after exposure. Because mild cases of the virus appear similar to the flu, its diagnosis may be difficult with a mere physical examination, and typically requires laboratory tests. In severe cases, coronavirus can lead to respiratory illnesses, pneumonia, kidney failure, or even death.
There are some basic prevention measures recommended by experts at the World Health Organization (WHO), Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and other organizations that be can taken against the fast-spreading deadly virus.
15 Tips to Protect Yourself from Coronavirus
- Stay at home. Avoid going out other than for necessities.
- Avoid gatherings of more than a few people.
- Avoid all sorts of crowded places, such as train stations or animal markets.
- Wash your hands carefully and frequently with soap and water.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that are frequently touched.
- Use a hand sanitizer after touching surfaces such as doors and furniture outside your home.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue; then dispose of the tissue and wash your hands.
- Do not touch your mouth, nose, or eyes with unwashed hands.
- Avoid unprotected contact with animals and surfaces in contact with animals.
- Do not consume raw or under-cooked animal products. Milk and animal organs should be handled with care.
- Avoid being in close proximity people who have fever and cough.
- Immediately seek medical care if you have fever, cough, or breathing difficulty.
- Self-isolate yourself if you are identified with any symptoms of coronavirus.
- Wear a surgical mask if you are in close proximity with someone displaying symptoms of coronavirus.
- Strictly abide by the guidelines and preventive measures introduced in your country.